2008 Mapathon! (First Contest)

A subforum for TDG's public Mapathon contest - archive of the 2006, 2007, and 2008 seasons.

Moderators: Shvegait, SeasonsOfLove, Galahaut, TheZizz

2008 Mapathon! (First Contest)

Postby The1stSeal » Sat May 17, 2008 12:35 am

Hi everyone, here's an update on the 2008 Mapathon:

How it works:
Mapathon Contest #1:
Due Date: June 1st, 5pm CDT (6pm EDT, 10pm GMT)
Mail Entry To: clantdg@gmail.com

Design a basic map with the following requirements:
    Multiplayer, player vs. computer or player vs. player
    Unprotected
    Easily editable, basically no vJASS or World Editor hacks needed. Regular JASS is okay if it's readable.
    You must be willing for the map to become property of the contest

This map needs only to be a bare bones assembly, as long as it works you can have as little content as you like. For example if you were to make a TD, you should include pathing, win/lose conditions, and at least one tower and creep wave. A Hero Arena should include win/loss/score keeping, and at least 1 hero. etc.

When we've reached the deadline, the maps will be sorted through and played, and one will be picked to continue onwards. From that point on, subsequent mapathon contests will be to add features as appropriate to the genre. Here's an example that may clear up any confusion.

Let's say the winning map from the 1st contest was a basic dungeon crawl. The second contest may be "Add a dungeon level to the map. Maximum size is 64x64, you may add units, items, and triggers as appropriate." Entrants will download the base map, add their level, and submit it. A volunteer judge will then compile all the changes into a single map which will be played at the contest week end. Everyone is encouraged to come and help test the new content, and as much as possible will be kept (barring very buggy or inappropriate material) for the next project. Subsequent weeks will add even more features, such as "design a hero," etc.

In the end, we'll have a map that combines the ideas and mapping powers of several people, and hopefully just be a lot of fun. The map will be credited to everyone who participated and had content added. There may be prizes as well, donated by your friendly TDG members (gift certificates, baked goods, whatever).

Because the map becomes better with more entries, everyone is welcome to submit and will be considered fairly. If there are prizes, the prize awarders will not be eligible for them, but are encouraged to participate.

So think up some map ideas and mail them in to clantdg@gmail.com . I'll even start it off by offering a $20 Amazon gift certificate to author(s) of the chosen map. Have fun and happy mapping.

P.S. If I'm mistaken about anything we discussed feel free to edit my post Shvegait/Chunk/Zizz/Kaye.
Stop using UnitDamagePoint/UnitDamagePointLoc!
The1stSeal
Shaman

Re: 2008 Mapathon!

Postby TheZizz » Sat May 17, 2008 12:54 am

Sounds about right except for one thing. I don't recall the part about having the judge compile every entry into one map as opposed to testing the entries individually, nor do I see the sense in this extra workload.

EDIT: And I presume you meant June 1st.
Coming Soon: FUZER PARTY
TheZizz
Spirit Walker

Postby Shvegait » Sat May 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Seal, I edited the deadline time to reflect daylight time and put in a couple other time zones.

I want to give a few tips to anyone who is considering making a base map for the Mapathon. Make sure that your map is one that can easily be expanded in a wide number of dimensions (new objects, new terrains, new quests, whatever), so that we can keep the contests interesting and varied from week to week. Try to make a unique concept, instead of something like an ordinary tower defense or something like that. You have much flexibility here, because YOU don't have to worry about making the content! (Until later weeks, if you choose.) At the same time, the concept should be fun before ALL the content is installed, that way each weekend we play the new additions, it will still be fun. Good luck!
Curiosity saved the mouse.
Shvegait
Chieftain

Postby Sabertooth_X » Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 pm

Awesome idea, soon to be thinking of ideas.
"I saw the angels sing:
I long to wake up the beautiful sleeping world"

~"Chorus of Angels", Haste The Day
Sabertooth_X
Guest Map-Maker

Postby TopWolf » Wed May 21, 2008 8:19 pm

I'm finding it difficult to design something I would particulary be interested in. From what I have been trying to imagine, I find myself being limited to highly skill based games or otherwise PvE games. Strategy games just dont seem to work. While you can add new content, it doesnt seem that there is in any way enough to keep the contest going. Perhaps I am wrong, but could, for example, an AoS or altered melee succeed?
TopWolf
Raider

Postby Antistone » Thu May 22, 2008 8:36 pm

I'd like to suggest two additional rules regarding the "ownership" of submitted maps:

1) The contest receives rights to use only the winning map (unless the losing authors choose to offer their maps anyway)
2) Those rights are non-exclusive; thus, the original author could "fork" the submitted map and develop a derivative of it on his/her own, separate from the version developed by the contest (or submit the original map to another contest, or other things like that)

Probably not major issues, but that seems like the only control the contest actually needs, and it would be a real shame if submissions were withheld or arguments were caused after the fact due to those being unclear.

Can I get an official endorsement of those rules?
TFT Maps & Design
http://www.mindflare.com/wc3maps/

Recent Work:
Delvers
Antistone
Guest Map-Maker

Postby TheZizz » Fri May 23, 2008 1:32 am

Yes.

The rule only stipulates that we can do whatever we want with the submitted base maps. It does not (and cannot in the first place) restrict the individual author's business in any way.
TheZizz
Spirit Walker

Postby 13LUR » Sun May 25, 2008 4:26 am

Hows every1s map goin? Just curious to see who else is doing the first round.
"And how many hours would you require to implement and debug that C program?" - Student of Master Foo
"Many... But only a fool would spend the time to do that when so many more worthy tasks await him." - Visiting C Programmer
"And who better understands the Unix-nature? Is it he who writes the ten thousand lines, or he who, perceiving the emptiness of the task, gains merit by not coding?" - Master Foo
The Rootless Root
13LUR
Spirit Walker

Postby Sabertooth_X » Sun May 25, 2008 10:00 am

Im tryin to find a solid concept. Though it's fairly easy to draw lines of unbuildable terrain all over the place and call it a TD, I'd really not do that. =P
"I saw the angels sing:
I long to wake up the beautiful sleeping world"

~"Chorus of Angels", Haste The Day
Sabertooth_X
Guest Map-Maker

Postby Kaye- » Sun May 25, 2008 11:19 am

I submit Crystal Capture!

Yea, I didn't make it for this, but it's still pretty damn bare bones. Even the gameplay isn't 100%. Tons of content missing. And we all know I'm not going to finish it...
Kaye-
Shaman

Postby TheZizz » Sun May 25, 2008 2:10 pm

There's something I really wanted to do but I haven't started it yet. June 1st comes so quickly.
TheZizz
Spirit Walker

Postby CHUNK » Sun May 25, 2008 2:44 pm

Something to note about submissions - you might consider making some notes about possible directions in which the map could be expanded. Since the idea for the base map is to provide a foundation for future contest entries, the more clearly you can describe the nature of possible contests the more likely people will be to choose your concept. If you don't plan on being around for the contest, where you might explain it directly, you might consider explaining those things in the submission email or something.

On an unrelated note, I am going to be out of town (Moab, UT) on June 1 and I expect that I won't be able to submit anything for the first contest as a result of preparing for the trip (I'm giving another talk)... and I think I will be on a plane when the contest begins, so I won't be around to help judge. If I can manage to get my concept into something playable, I'll try to submit it, but I'm doubtful at the moment.
CHUNK
Shaman

Postby Shvegait » Tue May 27, 2008 2:30 pm

Just as a heads up, I'm not gonna be around on June 1st until later (graduation party). I'll try to be there as early as possible but it might be a bit after 6:00...
Curiosity saved the mouse.
Shvegait
Chieftain

Postby Kaye- » Thu May 29, 2008 4:22 pm

So uh, who IS going to be there? And when are we starting?
Kaye-
Shaman

Postby TheZizz » Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 am

I might be late but I'll be there.
TheZizz
Spirit Walker

Next

Return to Mapathon Contest Forum